Monday, November 8, 2010

More on Monuments

So here is another set of photos of individual monuments I have seen, outside of villages ot towns. I thought that with the monument for Rene Metras which gives the date of his death and is marked Le Souvenir Français, I would be able to find more information.

Composite of small monuments outside of villages and towns in the Cluny area of Bourgogne
photo by ChigyTweet
(Creative Commons Some Limitations License)


However, my first look around the Le Souvenir Français site and sites linked to it didn't come up with any information about Rene Metras.

From this I discovered an interesting site that appears to have used the names on village monuments as the base on which to develop a database of those who died in the two world wars. Interestingly, this database only records the town square monument in Salornay sur Guy and not the second monument in the cemetery that I described in my first post on monuments.

MémorialGenWeb.jpg
from: GenWeb
(click image for more information)


The database contains varying information for the people commemorated on the monument, from nothing more than a name to full biographical information and even a portrait photograph in some places. There doesn't appear to be any detailed information of the circumstances of death, only the cause.

There are surely more sources of information which I will continue to look for and investigate. In the meantime when you are looking for these roadside memorials there appear to be many fewer than you remembered.





No comments:

Post a Comment